VA Tutorial Assistance

Veteran Readiness and Employment Service (Chapter 31 Students)

Please seek approval from your VA VR&E Counselor first. Your instructor must sign form VA 28-1905m and provide a letter stating that private tutoring is required to resolve deficiencies in the subject. The maximum amount payable is $2,500 for the duration of the entitlement. Make sure to seek free tutoring services available on campus prior to requesting private tutoring, click here for a list of free NMSU TUTORING SERVICES.


If you are eligible for VA education benefits and need help in a subject, you can get supplemental payments for individualized tutoring assistance. The subject must be necessary for the completion of your approved degree program. You must :
  1. be enrolled half-time or more (for Chapter 33 students, the rate of pursuit must be at least 50%),
  2. have a deficiency in a course that is part of your approved degree program, and
  3. be enrolled in the course during the term in which the tutoring is received for the course.


VA will pay up to $100 per month for your tutorial assistance. The purpose is to help you pay for any necessary tutoring. The allowance is a supplement to your monthly educational assistance allowance.


The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1,200. (12 times the maximum monthly rate of $100). Special provisions:
  1. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606.
  2. There is no entitlement charge under Chapter 33 or Chapter 35.


  • Letter from your instructor stating that individual tutoring is required to resolve deficiencies in the given subject.
  • A letter that the chosen tutor is an approved NMSU tutor from one of the Tutoring Services available on campus. (The tutor must be a qualified subject NMSU tutor and their hourly charge does not exceed the usual charges for tutoring)

Click here for a list of free NMSU TUTORING SERVICES.


The student, tutor, and certifying official must complete an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance ( VA Form 22-1990t ). The student may submit an application at the end of each month. However, the student may delay submitting the application and include several months. VA will pay tutorial assistance only for tutoring received during the 1-year period before the date it receives the claim.


Complete Items 1 through 13.

In Item 10, show the individual unit subject or subjects (e.g., Math 101) for which you needed tutoring.

Be sure to complete all blocks A through F in Item 12. If any block is not checked, your payment may be delayed.
Sign and date the application in Items 14A and 14B.

Verify the information you provided.

Certify that he or she is the person who gave you individualized tutoring and is not closely related to you (i.e., spouse, parent, brother, sister, or child).
Complete Items 15 and 16.

Sign in Items 17A and 17B.
If you are requesting tutorial assistance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, take this form to the professor or instructor of the course for which tutoring was necessary. The teacher must:

Sign 18A

Complete 18B
After all of the areas are completed and signed, MVP will mail the original to the VA and keep a copy on your veteran file. VA will not pay assistance for any tutoring received more than one year before the day VA actually receives your claim.

Mail the completed form to:

VA Regional Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888