VA Student Work-Study

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Student Work-Study Allowance Program offers an additional allowance to veteran students in return for their performing services in VA-related activities.  Veteran students selected for program at New Mexico State University will work in the Military and Veterans Programs (MVP).

The VA selects students for the work-study program based on their ability to complete the work-study contract before the end of their eligibility to education benefits and based on job availability within a normal commuting distance to the student.

Who is Eligible?

The program is open to persons training on a full-time or 3/4-time basis under the following programs:

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill®
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty
  • Vocational Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans With Service Connected Disabilities
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve
  • Fry Scholarship

How much will I earn?

You will earn an hourly wage equal to the New Mexico minimum wage (currently $7.50 per hour) and may elect to be paid in advance for 40 percent of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less.  After you have completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service.

You may work during or between periods of enrollment.  You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment, but, the total number of hours you work cannot be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

What type of work will I do?

Services under a VA Work-Study Program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are:

  • Processing VA paperwork at schools or VA offices
  • Performing outreach services under the supervision of a VA employee
  • Performing services at VA medical facilities or the offices of the National Cemetery Administration

How do I apply for the VA Student Work-Study Allowance Program?

  • Complete the VA Student Work-Study Allowance Program application
  • Submit the VA Student Work-Study Allowance Program application and your Personal Resume:
    • In person: Corbett Center Student Union, Room 244 (2nd Floor)
    • By email:
    • By fax: (575) 646-1113