NMSU Military and Veterans Programs’ function is to serve as the liaison between NMSU students and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) in Muskogee, Oklahoma.
VA Education Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
Phone: (888) 442-4551, Fax: (918) 781-7863
Call between 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday.
Automated Verification: (877) 823-2378
Detailed education program descriptions are available on the VA’s Education Benefits page. If you feel you may be eligible for education benefits you should submit an application. VA will review your application and officially deny or grant benefits.
MVP duties include:
- Certifying students for required courses which apply to a Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degree programs (courses meeting requirements for minors will be certifiable). Minors: A minor pursued as part of an approved major can be certified, even if the minor will require additional credit to graduate. Only courses required to complete the degree, including the minor, can be certified.
- Working with students to ensure that overpayments are not created
- Reporting adjustments of students’ credit hours
Responsibility of Students Receiving VA Education Benefits
Students must be pursuing a degree in a specific program to be eligible for benefits. Admission procedures for veterans and other eligible persons are the same as for all students. Students must submit their Student Academic Requirements (STAR) Degree Audit Report to Military and Veterans Programs prior to certification. For continued certification, students must submit a Concise Student Schedule and STAR Degree Audit to the MVP office every semester.
Students using VA Education Benefits must notify MVP when any of the following occurs:
- Dropping or adding course(s)
- Withdrawing from course(s)
- Withdrawing from the University
- Discontinuing regular class attendance
- Changing programs (academic majors/minors)
VA education benefits are payable for regular attendance in courses that are part of the student’s program (major/minor) curriculum. VA education benefits are not payable for:
- Classes not attended regularly
- Repeating a course for which a passing grade was received
- Classes for which credit is received through successful completion of a proficiency test or grade by examination
- Classes taken on an audit basis
- Classes that are dropped or withdrawn from
- Classes taken that are not part of the student’s program (major/minor) curriculum