Student Veteran Housing

New Mexico State University is one of the first in the nation to offer on-campus housing specifically designated for student veterans and their families transitioning out of the military and into student life.  The Department of Housing & Residential Life has worked in conjunction with the Student Veterans Organization of NMSU to offer affordable housing on campus to student veterans attending the university.  PDF form: Student Veteran Housing

NOTE: First-time, full-time undergraduate students admitted to the Las Cruces campus will be required to live in a university-operated residence hall for the first academic year, or two semesters.  For more information or would like to request an exemption, please visit our First-Year Student Residency Requirement page.


student veteran
Tom Fort and Sutherland Villages flourish with activity as children play in front yards and neighbors barbecue together.  These unfurnished, single-family, one story homes are a favorite among our veterans and feature large fenced-in yards where approved pets are welcome.  The Tom Fort and Sutherland Villages are $695 per month.  Rate include all utilities, cable TV and high-speed Internet.

Tom Fort and Sutherland Villages are available for student veterans.  Located approximately half a mile from the heart of campus, these homes are walking distance from the DACC campus, the library, Activity Center, Natatorium, and many other buildings on campus.  The Aggie Express is only steps away and features a full-service convenience store, laundry facilities, a computer lab and workout room.


The Community Center & Aggie Express are centrally located on the corner of Williams Avenue and Standley Drive, next to the Vista del Monte Apartment complex, and feature a full service convenience store, laundry facilities, computer lab and fitness center.


Interested student veterans need to apply in person at the Housing & Residential Life office.  The Housing & Residential Life Office is open Monday through Friday, from 8pm-5pm.  A veteran status identification and picture ID are also required at the time of application.

Housing & Residential Life
Corbett Center Student Union, Room 230
Phone: (575) 646-3202
Fax: (575) 646-7811