Federal Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy. The Department of Defense (DoD) has given each service the ability to pay up to $250 per semester credit hour of the actual cost of tuition (no fees) during the fiscal year (1 October – 30 September). TA is authorized for one certificate or diploma. Service members cannot use TA for a second equivalent or lower degree, i.e., no second bachelor’s or master’s degree. TA cannot be used for first-professional degrees, e.g., PhD, MD, or JD. TA is paid directly to the school by the individual services (GoArmyEd is invoiced from the 16th till the end of the Month. All of the other Services are invoiced after the Last Day to Drop a Class).
PDF form: Federal Tuition Assistance (TA)
PLEASE SELECT YOUR BRANCH OF SERVICE TO BEGIN THE PROCESS:
Effective September 5, 2014, the DoD implemented the following policy:
- Reimbursement criteria for non-successful course completion. For the purpose of reimbursement, a successful course completion is defined as a grade of “C” or higher for undergraduate courses, a “B” or higher for graduate courses, and a “Pass” for “Pass/Fail” grades.
- No fees, to include supporting instructional fees will be paid using TA. Only the actual cost of tuition will be funded.
- TA must be requested PRIOR to the start date of the course. Login to your Service Portal for TA Request Restrictions.
- GoArmyEd Users: TA requests must be submitted one day before the start date of the course. Amount Covered: 16 Semester Hours per Fiscal Year. Army Policy: Army National Guard Soldiers who have enlisted and completed Basic Training (BT) but have not yet completed Advanced Individual Training (AIT) or who have not yet completed one year of service to be eligible for Federal TA may apply for tuition assistance through the NMNGTSP-State TA.
- All of the other Services: TA requests must be submitted within 7-45 days prior to the start date of the course. Amount Covered: $4500 per Fiscal Year (except for Coast Guard $2,250 per Fiscal Year).
- TA is no longer authorized for classes for which a member is also receiving VA benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR/Chapter 1606) or Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP/Chapter 1607). TA and VA benefits may be used during the semester, but cannot be used to pay for the same class. Each member should be aware of the limitation on concurrent receipt and choose which benefit he or she would prefer to use. ***If the above policy applies to you, keep in mind that eligible members of the New Mexico National Guard (NMNG) may qualify for State Tuition Assistance (STA). For more information, refer to the State Tuition Assistance (STA) page***
Admission and Registration
Service members must first be admitted to NMSU to register for classes. Apply Online to complete the admissions process. You may contact University Admissions at (575) 646-3121 by email firstname.lastname@example.org or Graduate School at (575) 646-5746 by email email@example.com for assistance.
Please be aware of our admission/registration process: (1) Service members must apply online to be admitted, (2) login to myNMSU to register for classes, and (3) request Tuition Assistance according to your branch.
Attention Army and National Guard students – If a class you are currently enrolled in at NMSU is not in the GoArmyEd portal, do not register into another section. Instead, contact the Military and Veterans Programs at (575) 646-4524 or firstname.lastname@example.org. After enrolling in a class, if you need to drop it for any reason, you must process your drop in both GoArmyEd and NMSU systems in accordance with institutional policies and procedures. Please click here for refund schedules.
Active-duty military personnel stationed in New Mexico or at Fort Bliss, Texas may complete a “Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the U.S. Armed Forces” waiver to qualify for in-state tuition. Spouses and minor children of active-duty personnel who are stationed in New Mexico and Fort Bliss, Texas who are not otherwise entitled to claim in-state residency, may apply for in-state tuition by completing the “Resident Tuition Application for Active Military, Veterans and Dependents of the U.S. Armed Forces” form. The MVP Waiver form must be submitted to the Military and Veterans Programs by the Census Date or the Last Day to Drop a Class.