Military and Veterans Programs continuously works to successfully facilitate the use of federal education benefits. We provide advocacy and support for our military, veteran, and family member student community by offering outreach, networking, and personalized assistance.
Military and Veterans Programs will establish NMSU as a nationally recognized destination for military, veterans and family members, exceeding the 8 Keys to Veterans’ Success by applying it to all of the MVP population.
U.S. Department of Education’s 8 Keys to Veteran Student Success:
- Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
- Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
- Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
- Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
- Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
- Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
- Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
- Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.