NMSU is a military and veteran friendly university which strives to provide the best possible service to our current and former servicemembers as they pursue their educational goals. NMSU Military and Veterans Programs promotes lifelong learning and professional development for veterans, active-duty military and their families, assisting them in their higher education goals by offering:
- Affordable, in-state tuition rates for active-duty military personnel and their dependents living at regional military installations, and veterans receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits
- Easily transferable credits that count toward degrees at NMSU
- Facilitation of all U.S. Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) Benefits
- Courses taught online and at locations on and near regional military installations
- Innovative technology and course delivery methods
- Internships for veterans
- Student advocacy at every level, from admissions to graduation
- Resource materials from a variety of veteran and military service organizations
- Priority registration for all military and veteran students
- Veterans on Campus Training by Kognito, training faculty and staff on our student veterans and the unique value they bring to campus
- Salute Honor Society for student veterans
- Connection with student organizations
- A tradition of quality education
NMSU degree programs are approved by the State Approving Agency Directory at the New Mexico Higher Education Department. Eligible students may receive education benefits from the U.S. Department of Defense and/or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Military and Veterans Programs (MVP) Lab
The MVP lab serves as a one stop shop for military and veteran students with numerous resources on and off campus. Military and Veterans Programs can assist you with all matters at NMSU from admissions to graduation. Military and Veterans Programs has a lab containing 6 PCs and an iMac loaded with Adobe Creative Suite 6. Common Access Card (CAC) readers are available on 2 machines. The lab is open 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday and is available to all military and veteran students including dependents. Enjoy a free cup of coffee while doing your homework or just hang out and network with likeminded veterans. We offer free fax, copy and printing services to further accommodate our students.
NMSU is becoming increasingly aware of the unique challenges facing our returning student veteran population and the negative impact it has on their health and academic performance. To address this concern, MVP has adopted an online training simulation that will assist faculty and staff learn how to manage a class discussion around a veteran-sensitive topic and help a student veteran who’s struggling academically in class.